cooking and recipe tips
Bombay Biryani Recipe
Rice DishSpicy, hot and flavorsome rice layered with lamb or chicken with potatoes.
Bombay Biryani is a classic South East Asian meat and condiment pilau (rice) dish.
Serves: 6-7 People
Ready in: 35 Minutes
Skill level: Advanced
'Bombay style rice with Meat and Potatoes'
- Meat (beef/mutton/chicken) 500g-750g
- Rice (Soaked for 10 minutes) 500g-750g
- Oil/ghee ½ cup (140ml)
- Onions (Finely chopped) 4 (Medium sized)
- Potatoes (peeled and halved) 3 (Medium sized)
- Tomatoes (Finely Chopped) 6-7 (Medium sized)
- Yogurt ½ cup (125g)
- Garlic (Paste) 1tbsp
- Ginger (Finely chopped) 1tbsp
- Green chillies (Slit in two) 6-8
- Salt 2 tbsp
- Yellow Food Colour 1pinch (Mixed in 4 tbsp water)
- Regal’s Bombay Biryani Masala mix 70g (1 packet)
1. Fry onions in oil/ghee until golden brown. Add meat, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, yoghurt and Regal’s Bombay Biryani Mix and fry for 10-15 minutes. Add the potatoes when meat is half tender.
2. Add 1 cup of water and cook on low heat until meat is tender (water is not needed for chicken). When oil/ghee separates from gravy, add green chillies and cook for another 2 minutes then turn the heat off.
3. In another pan, boil rice in 6-8 cups of water with 2 tbsp of salt. Drain water when rice is half done.
4. Set rice and meat curry in alternate layers in a big cooking pan. Sprinkle yellow food colour on rice. Cover and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
5. You can also garnish your Bombay Biryani with sliced boiled eggs.
Delicious Bombay Biryani is ready. Serve with raita and salad.
Cooking Ingredients and Accompaniments